The basic rule for systemizing is ‘Systemize the routine, humanize the exception’. Effective systems can save you and your Dade or Broward team both time and money. A system means that things are done consistently, regardless of the team member. Anything that cannot be systemized needs to be run by people. Always look at putting a system in place rather than employing more people.
The first step in systemizing your business is to record the steps required to accomplish all the important tasks of the business. The next step is automation.
Here’s what happens when an order comes in:
- Customer calls and places and order.
- The Owner jots down the order on a piece of paper.
- The Owner writes down what materials would be required to do the job (he/she may forget that he needs a certain material).
- He/she then proceeds to check the shelves to see if he/she needs to reorder any of the material.
With an automated system this is what takes place – and it happens ALL from a few keystrokes:
- The Owner would have called up the Customer’s Name on the computer (the computer would have all the important information on the customer such as whether they have any outstanding invoices and what they ordered last time)
- She would enter the order and the computer would tell her whether the materials needed to make the product are in stock
- The computer would print out a list of materials to order, schedule the time on the machine required to make the product, state when the product will be ready to ship to the customer, and produce an invoice and shipping label.
Now you might be thinking that automating functions of your business would be very complicated and expensive. Not true. The price of computer equipment keeps falling and is now affordable to all businesses. We have coached many businesses to organize their steps and procedures and then automate their business functions. Business owners are amazed at how the increase in efficiency and sales, due to the consistent quality of the products or service they produce, can pay for the software in a very short period of time.
Whether you are a manager or the owner of a business, you can really affect the bottom line through systematizing processes. Then by automating the processes, you know that your business will be efficient in offering its products or services. Not only will you sleep better knowing that you do not have to be there to keep the company moving smoothly, but also that the company will be more profitable. You know a computer should not be used as a glorified typewriter when it can do so much more to help your business.
Systematizing your business can also be your competitive advantage. Customers will benefit from your business running more efficiently and producing consistent high quality products or services regardless if the owner is around. Customers that shop at your competition and who are tired of inconsistent quality will soon buy from you. All you need to do then is to COMMUNICATE to your customers and prospects about your NEW Business IMPROVEMENT that will help to serve them better.
- Systems run your business …
- People run your systems …
- You lead your people …